GB3LV Echolink Guide.

The place for general discussion.
G0KUX
Site Admin

GB3LV Echolink Guide.

Post by G0KUX »

I have taken over providing the Echolink service to GB3LV from Tony, G4CJC who provided the service for many years, thank you Tony.

The system I have set up uses the SVXlink software running on a Raspberry Pi linking to GB3LV via RF.
A maximum of 10 echolink users can connect at any one time.
IRLP has been discontinued unless someone takes on the task.

Using either your DTMF microphone or the keypad of your handheld, the following DTMF commands may be useful.

The star '*' key will give the status of the system on GB3LV and how to access the help system.

The key sequence 'D1#' connects the the Echolink Parrot as does keying in 9999. Replays your transmitted audio.

The Key sequence 'D2#' connects to HubNet which links many repeaters and users together.

You can directly key in the node number of another station to connect directly to them.

NOTE: Use the # key to disconnect.

Most of the Chinese handheld radios DTMF do not work correctly. I suggest using something like an Icom / Kenwood / Yaesu handheld.

The system here for Echolink is monitored and logged.

If you can get directly into GB3LV from where you are on RF then you gain nothing by going in via Echolink. On the other hand if going in by RF you could then use Echolink to contact other more distant Echolink nodes if you know their node number.
You can look up Echolink Nodes on echolink.org.

NOTE: DO NOT monitor GB3LV on a radio nearby you if your accessing via Echolink. This causes feedback which continuously keys the repeater on and off.
You should never use Echolink for access if you are within RF range with your radio.

However you gain access please remember to close the link when you are finished using the # key.

Original article by Tony, G4CJC edited to reflect current Echolink status on GB3LV by Peter, G0KUX. February 2024.